On Sunday, March 24th,
my partner and I finished our final hours of service learning at Kahl Home. Because
it was the Sunday before Easter Sunday, Kahl Home was having a small pre-Easter
celebration. This Sunday, like every other Sunday, we served the residents
snacks and drinks while interacting with them.
Since
it was a pre-Easter celebration many of the residents asked what my plans for
Easter were. I told them I would be spending my Easter with my family and asked
what their plans were. Many of them said their family was coming to visit them
and some said that they would be celebrating Easter with other residents
because their family lived out of state or was unable to come for some other
reason. With the topic of Easter and family brought up, many of the residents
really found a lot to talk about this visit. Almost everyone told me a lot
about their family, Easter traditions, and their life before Kahl Home. This
was all fascinating for me to hear because I love hearing old stories. With
this particular visit to Kahl Home, I really found myself applying the
interpersonal communication’s concept of listening. I was definitely mindfully
listening to each persons stories and what they had to say, because I was
interested in what they were saying. I found myself listening to each of their
stories to understand what they were saying, what they experienced, and simply
to get to know them better.
I
think this visit to Kahl Home was a perfect way to end service learning. I could
see myself going back in the future just to visit with some of the residents in
my free time. What I learned from this visit about listening can be applied to
any future interaction with any person. I found that when the residents could
tell that I was mindfully listening and responding to what they were saying it
really pleased them. It also made them want to continue to tell me more since I
did not seem bored or disinterested. I think with any future interaction with
someone who is telling me something I should always keep an open mind and try
to be as interested as possible, even if what they are saying does not
particularly interest me, because it makes them feel good while showing that I am
a good listener.
No comments:
Post a Comment